|Difficulty: Hard |
Superior: Technomancer Exultant and Captain
Duties: Start the engines, and keep the ship from falling apart.
Guides: Guide To Technomancy, Guide to Pulsar Engine
Quote: Please deconstruct the window next time instead of breaking it.
The humble Technomancer is the maintainer of the ship. Hardy, and savvy, these folks are called upon to supervise and maintain the organs and lifeblood of the ship: the extensive power net and piping system, the shields and thrusters, as well as the generation of power using the Pulsar engine. Their leader is the Technomancer Exultant, but usually he will work alongside with his fellows and share the burdens of keeping the Eris afloat.
Your first priority will be to set up the Pulsar Engine, located on fourth deck, south west of the Technomancy lobby. The engine is extremely important to game progression; after the round starts, without it the power will wane in about 40 minutes causing power outages across the station.
Your second priority should be upgrading the SMES units and setting up the shields to cover the area around the Eris. This process is also described in the old SuperMatter Guide. If this isn’t done, the ship is vulnerable to asteroids, foreign fauna, and outside breaching. A decent sized asteroid will make some areas of the ship uninhabitable, not to mention killing anything that's unlucky enough to be standing under it. The shields will absorb these blows as long as they are charged enough.
Third priority should be refueling the thrusters. This is described in the Guide to Technomancy. You will want to do this if the Captain decides to travel to somewhere during the round. Make sure you keep an eye on how much fuel is left during travel. This is important if you actually want to travel somewhere without setting the ship adrift with no way to propel itself, usually running into asteroid fields.
If these things are all done and take care of, you can rest easy. Just remember that things usually don't stay undamaged for long and you might be called on to do repairs or troubleshoot problems with the ship.
- A useful basic setup for the shield: Hyperkinetic Projectiles for meteors, Hull Shielding obviously, Multi-Dimensional Field Warp, to protect maint, Photonic Dispersion to keep lasers from breaching the hull, Humanoid Lifeforms to keep serbians to their own space, Unknown Lifeforms to keep carp out, and finally Atmospheric Containment to keep those damn roaches from venting maint.
- You have an advanced tools disc available to you in the Engineering lathe room.
- There are many rooms aboard the Eris that have been abandoned to the roaches. Maybe there is rebuilding potential there?
- You can order many things from cargo to help you with your work, or personal projects. Check the Supply Console, in the Engineering section.
- Experiment. If you feel comfortable with how the ship works, and how its systems fit together; feel free to try your own set ups and builds for the Engine and other ship systems.